Do your employees all seem to be on a different page than you are? It might be because you’ve never communicated your 1, 3 or even 5 year plans with them.
Consider the idea of leaving on a trip. You’re all packed up and ready to go and your friends have all committed to meet you there. The only problem is, you haven’t told them, and they have no idea, where you’re headed. I know that sounds preposterous, but thousands of business owners do just that every day.
Here’s a quick test to check if you’re currently in this situation: Ask a few employees if they know who’s going to take over when you leave or die. Do they know what the company is going to look like in 5 years? If they can’t answer those questions, you have a problem. How can they possibly be working everyday to achieve your long term goals if they don’t even know what they are?
The good news is that you can almost always get the train back on the track if you clearly define and communicate your vision of the future. You are the captain, the navigator and the helmsman of your ship and it’s your job to chart the course for all on board.
Start by asking yourself a few questions.
1. What do you care about most?
2. What are you working on that is making a profound difference for you and others?
3. What gifts and talents are you currently using?
4. What gifts and talents are you not utilizing that you would like to?
5. Where would you like to be in 3 to 5 years? Or even 10 or 20 years?
6. What would you achieve if you were bolder?
7. What do you want more (or less) of?
8. If you had only one year to live, how would you want to live it and what do you want to leave for others?
Developing a roadmap to success is easier when you know where you’re going.
It’s a whole lot easier when your employees are working together to help you get there.
If you’d like more information on better communicating with your employees, get in touch with a Part Time Business Partner today!